Saturday, September 12, 2009

Days 4, 5 & 6

Ugh. Well, the challenge was challenged. I did not run on day 4. There was no good reason, other than my baby toenail hurt and I decided to get a pedicure before I ran. Then, at the pedicure, I got a massage, and by then, I had to be at home to relieve the babysitter. My husband then did not come home until after 8:00 p.m., and I simply could not motivate by that time.

As a result, I considered throwing in the proverbial towel. I thought I'd give up the whole thing, because -- after all -- if I can't manage day 4, then how am I going to get to 100! But then, I decided that I didn't want to give up. On day 5, I had a great run (after my day of rest), and day 6 -- today, I had a miserable run.

It felt humid and crowded. I was being so critical of the crowds. It is the first weekend after Labor Day. But as I always do, when I am hyper-critical, I tried to see what was going on with me to be feeling so judgmental. I realized that someone had recently criticized me, and I was angry about it --- working through trying not to feel defensive. And the night before, a new client had such nice things to say about me. What gives?

I always tell clients not to go on the roller coaster of what others think. People form judgments for their own reasons. Their judgments are more to do with themselves than they are with you. That goes for positive and negative feedback. Take what you can learn, use it and then move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment